- 1 lb. squid (calamari), fresh or frozen
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper or 1 tsp. peppercorns
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
Cooking Procedures :
- Pull out head, tentacles, innards, and transparent ribs from body of squid, making sure not to burst the black tint. Cut off tentacles just above the eyes. Discard innards and transparent ribs. Wash and drain squid bodies and tentacles well. Set aside.
- Combine salt, pepper (or peppercorns, if using) vinegar, water, sugar and bay leaf in a bowl. Add squids and marinate for an hour. Drain, reserving marinade. Strained and set-aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant. Add onions and tomatoes. Stir-fry for a few minutes until soft and wilted.
- Add drained squids. Stir until the squids are half done for about 5 to 8 minutes. Add strained marinade. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Correct seasonings. Let it simmer until squids are cook. If desired, allow it to thicken or be a little dry in consistency. Be sure not to overcook the squids.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Serve hot.
Have you try This Adobo Recipe: