In the Philippines, squid is a popular ingredient; it is an excellent source of protein. One thing is important not to overcook squid as it not only toughens, it also loses its flavor and the texture as well.
- 2 lbs. fresh squid (or frozen)
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 green chili pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- steamed rice, to serve
Cooking Procedures :
- Prepare fresh squid, if using, by following the steps here. Cut squid into rings and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Add tomato; stir-fry for a few minutes, or until wilted.
- Add squid and stir-fry for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. The meat will turn opaque. Add chili pepper (if using), sugar, black pepper, fish sauce and soy sauce; stir to mix thoroughly. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes, or until done. Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Serves 4.