Another favorite staple in most Filipino homes, now with a richer and more flavorful sauce with Worcestershire sauce perking up the flavor.
- 1 lb. beef brisket, cut into 1-1/2 in.
- 1 lb. pork liver, sliced into 1/2 in.
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 pack (250 g)Four Cheeses spaghetti sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 stalk celery, chopped thinly
- 2 red bell pepper, cut into 1″ wedges
- 2 green bell pepper, cut into 1″ wedges
Cooking Procedures :
- Place the beef brisket and pork liver together into a mixing bowl. Add Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce. Allow to marinate for an hour while preparing the rest of ingredients.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry the potato quarters until brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic and onions until wilted and translucent. Add the beef and liver and fry until meat is brown.
- Add spaghetti sauce and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat. Pour in remaining marinade from the mixing bowl. Add the bay leaf and black pepper. Pour the water and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and allow to simmer over low heat until meat is tender.
- Stir in the bell peppers and celery during the last minute of cooking. Correct seasonings.
- Serve hot and garnish with the fried potato wedges.
- Serves 6 to 8.
Tips: Beef brisket (punta y pecho) can be substituted with beef cubes, bottom round or kalitiran (flank steak).
Try This Other Version of Mechado Recipe