- 1/2 cup glutinous rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cans water
- 1 pandan leaf, cut into 2 pieces
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups frozen or freshly scraped corn niblets from 4 ears of corn
- 3/4 cup sugar
Cooking Procedures :
- Do not shake can of coconut milk before opening. Scoop out thick coconut milk from top of can and reserve. Wash and drain rice.
- In a heavy pot, combine rice, remaining coconut milk in can, water, pandan and salt; bring to a boil. Stir, lower heat and simmer until rice is cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Add corn, bring to a boil again. Lower heat and cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add sugar, stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Stir in thick coconut milk and cook 5 minutes more stirring occasionally.
- Serves 6 to 8.
Guinataang Munggo (Mung Beans in Coconut Milk)
- Replace corn niblets with 1/2 cup mung beans. Toast mung beans until almost black, then place them in a plastic bag.
- Pass a rolling pin over them a few times to remove skins from beans. Transfer beans to a bowl of water, let burnt skins float and discard them.
- Drain beans and add to boiling rice and coconut milk mixture. Simmer 30 minutes or until beans are tender.