This version of Maruya is one that I usually buy for my merienda when I was in the Philippines. I sometimes buy them in a bamboo stick or in a hand fan shape coated with sugar. But their where times that after siesta, my mom will cook us maruya in our merienda before playing outside during summer time.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 ripe saba (banana plantain), peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- flour, for dredging · sugar
Cooking Procedures :
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk and egg, beat until smooth.
- Heat oil in a frying pan (or a large saucepan) over medium heat.
- In batches, roll banana slices in flour and then dip in batter. Fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Roll in sugar. Place in a serving dish and serve.
Use sweet potato slices in place of bananas. About 2 medium sweet potatoes sliced 1/4″ thick.
Try Other Version in Cooking Maruya?