- 2 cups malagkit (glutinous) rice
- 3-1/2 cups diluted coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp. butter, for greasing pan
- 1 can condensed milk
- 3/4 cup thick coconut milk
- 2-3 tbsp. flour, for quick thickening
- 1 tsp. vanilla (or pandan flavouring)
Cooking Procedures :
- Grate 2 coconuts, squeeze out milk. Or use 1 can coconut milk, save 3/4 cup of the thick milk for topping, dilute the rest to make 3-1/2 cups.
- Boil rice and thin coconut milk in a heavy pot stirring to keep bottom from scorching, about 15-20 minutes. When rice is almost dry, lower the heat, stir in sugar and 1/4 cup butter. Let cool. Add the egg and mix well.
- Spread the rice mixture in a well buttered 9″ x 13″ pan, bake in a preheated 300°F oven for 20 minutes while preparing topping.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a heavy saucepan, cook over low heat stirring constantly until thick, about 15 minutes, pour over rice mixture. Turn oven heat up to 350°F, continue baking until top is brown, about 15 minutes.
- Serves 12.