- 1 lb. medium-sized fresh squid (or pre-cleaned frozen squid)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups oil, for deep-frying
- Sweet and Sour Sauce (Spicy Garlic Vinegar Sauce, or Garlic Mayonnaise Dip), for dipping
Cooking Procedures :
- Clean squid and cut them into rings (you may include the head). Pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; mix thoroughly. Dredge each squid ring into the beaten egg and then coat it with the flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a wok (or a saucepan) over medium-high heat. To check if the oil is hot enough, use a wooden chopstick (or a skewer), when dip into the oil -bubbles will form all around the stick. Or you can use candy thermometer to read the oil temperature, between 350°F-375°F (or 175°C-190°C) when it is ready. Alternatively, use a deep-fryer -if you have one.
- Deep-fry squid for about 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Don’t fry squid too long, it will become tough. Drain on paper towels. Repeat the process with the rest of the squid. Do not overcrowd the pan, to avoid temperature drop of the oil.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with Sweet and Sour Sauce (Spicy Garlic Vinegar Sauce, or Garlic Mayonnaise Dip).
- Serves 4 to 6.