Chayote Guisado or Sayote Guisado (Sautéed Chayote) is another vegetable Filipino recipe that I love to cook.
Here in Canada, finding a Chayote is not that difficult because they are now commonly sold in most known grocery stores like No Frills, Price Choppers and FreshCo. But few year back, I can’t find any chayote in our local community and I have to drive an hour drive just to have it.
But recently, I was surprise to see chayote in most shelf to known large grocery store in town. Another funny thing was, the cashier didn’t know it’s name and it took her a long time to figure it out. She even call her co-employee for help and finally the chayote that we love was under squash-vegetable category and was called chayote squash.
Anyway, we’re glad that chayote vegetable is just a few minutes drive away.
- 2 to 4 pieces chayote squash, pared, seeded and sliced
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb. pork, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Cooking Procedures :
- In a pan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook pork until it turns slightly brown.
- Add garlic, onions and tomatoes. Sauté for a few minutes until tomatoes wilted.
- Add chayote slices. Season with patis, salt and pepper. Stir-fry for few minutes until well blended.
- Pour in water and bring to boil. Cover, lower the heat and let it simmer until chayote is tender.
- Correct the seasonings according to your style and liking.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish. Serve hot.
Thanks for sharing this delicious filipino food. I never cooked while in pinas because i’m a full time office girl in PAL, now that here in Los Angeles, my heart still a pinoy and love to cook all your filipino recipes and my husband loves
Thank you very mcu
yummy! i’ll cook this for lunch tomorrow.. tumutubo lang sayote sa likod bahay namen eh hehehe
wow. great chayote recipe, i like that.
b’coz of ur recipe mas lalo kopang mamahalin ang sayote,tanx
thanks a lot, helped me so much
chayote guisado, is the one of the best recipe (Pilipino)… My husband is surprise when he taste the chayote guisado… now he like it… thanks filipino Recipes….