- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 4 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. tomato sauce or ketchup
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch dispersed in
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- 1 tbsp. oil
Cooking Procedures :
- In a saucepan, combine all ingredients except cornstarch solution and oil. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in cornstarch. Cook until mixture becomes thick and transparent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in oil to give it shine. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over any fried dishes like Sweet and Sour Pork and Fish Escabeche. It may also use as dipping sauce for Lumpiang Shanghai.
Microwaved Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Do not microwave in anything metallic.
- In a 2-cup glass or ceramic bowl, combine all the ingredients above except oil. Stir until well blended.
- Microwave, uncovered, for 2 minutes at HIGH (for 700-watt oven). If you’re using a 1000-watt oven, cook at P-70 (power level 70 only). Remove from oven, stir or whisk to mix well. Correct the seasoning.
- Return to microwave oven and cook 30 seconds more, if there are still white streaks of uncooked cornstarch slurry. The sauce should be thick and clear brown throughout. (Remember that it will thicken some more as it gets cold).
- Stir in oil to give it shine. Pour sweet and sour sauce over prepared dishes such as Sweet and Sour Pork, Fish Escabeche or as dipping sauce for Lumpiang Shanghai.