Tortang Talong is a healthy eggplant recipes that Filipino loves to cook because it’s budget friendly and very tasty. Yes, making this recipe needs little bit of patience because of the grilling or broiling, peeling then cooking it again… but the end result is very satisfying.
Anyways, hope you like this traditional way of cooking tortang talong which is just a simple eggplant omelet. When I serve this dish, I usually add spicy ketchup in the menu but others prefer soy sauce with calamansi.
- 2 to 4 talong (eggplants), average size
- 2 to 3 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- oil, for frying
Cooking Procedures :
- Broil eggplants until tender (the skins are charred and blister appears).
- Once cool, peel off the skins of the eggplant and retain the crown and the stem. Gently flatten its meat by using the back of a fork. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Dip each eggplant, one at a time into the egg mixture. Gently bring the bowl near the skillet and tip, lowering the eggplant onto the heated oil.
- Fry until golden brown on one side, then turn and brown the other. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm and serve.