- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, shelled, deveined and leave the tails on
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups oil, for deep-frying
- Sweet and Sour Sauce (Sweet and Spicy Sauce, or Garlic Mayonnaise Dip), for dipping
Cooking Procedures :
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and water; mix thoroughly until smooth. Add beaten egg and stir well.
- Heat oil in a wok (or a saucepan) over medium-high heat. To check if the oil is hot enough, use a wooden chopstick (or a skewer), when dip into the oil -bubbles will form all around the stick. Or you can use candy thermometer to read the oil temperature, between 350°F-375°F (or 175°C-190°C) when it is ready. Alternatively, use a deep-fryer -if you have one.
- Dip shrimp, holding by its tail, in the flour mixture and gently drop into the hot oil. Repeat the process with the rest of the shrimp. Do not overcrowd the pan, to avoid temperature drop of the oil. Deep-fry shrimp until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with Sweet and Sour Sauce and Sweet and Spicy Sauce (or Garlic Mayonnaise Dip).
- Serves 4 to 6.