- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken thigh (or chicken breast), thinly sliced
- 3 cups water
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bacon, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Prepare lightly greased baking sheet.
- To make the Dough: In a big bowl, combine flour, baking powder, butter, salt and sugar; mix thoroughly. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough gathered into a ball. Take out from the bowl, wrap it in a plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for an hour.
- To make the Filling: Pour water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add chicken and cook for 10 minutes, or until chicken is done (flesh appears opaque). Remove chicken from the water; set aside. In a separate saucepan, boil the potatoes for 10 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove and drain. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Add the bacon; stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until lightly brown. Remove from heat. In a bowl, coarsely mash potatoes with fork. Add the cooked chicken, sautéed bacon mixture, raisins, butter, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly until well combined. Set aside and let it cool completely.
- Remove chilled dough from the refrigerator. Take dough about the size of a golf ball (1-inch/2.5-cm in diameter). In a floured surface, flatten it with a rolling pin into a 1/8-inch (3-mm) thick disk. Place about 1 tablespoon of the Filling in the center of the disk. Fold to form a half-moon shape. Press and seal the edges by running the prongs of the fork over the edges. Continue forming Empanadas with the rest of the Dough and Filling.
- Place the Empanadas on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top with the beaten egg. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Makes 15.
I love to try and cook everything especially the chicken empanada…
tried it but had it deep fried instead, thanks for the recipe!