- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cups halaan (clams), shelled
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
Cooking Procedures :
- Heat oil in a pan. Sauté garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a boil then simmer until cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
- Tap clams on the side to see if they are still alive. Clams that do not close when tapped should be thrown away.
- Place the clams in water with salt (about 1/2 cup per gallon) for 2 to 3 hours in order for them to “vomit” the grains of sand and grit that may still be found inside them.
- Thoroughly wash the clams prior to cooking. If necessary, scrub them in order to loosen barnacles on the shells.
- When cooked, discard the clams that remain closed. Clams that are alive will open when cooked.